Is Udemy a Scam? I will try to answers related to this.
When it comes to Udemy there are lots of doubts & misconception revolving around the internet. You might think of questions like – How good are Udemy courses? Or Is Udemy legit? or even is it worth to take a course on Udemy?
You will get to know all the answers to all the above questions in this article.
When I came to know about Udemy in my 3rd year of engineering. I was just amazed by the platform. I saw lots of courses on the platform that’s too very affordable. I can get a course for as low as $10.
Udemy is an ocean of online courses. You will get tons & tons of courses on this platform. You just name it & you will find it on Udemy. You will find courses like Data Science, AWS, Machine Learning & almost all the technical courses. Not only this, you will be able to find some hobbies courses like Cooking, Dancing, Painting, Playing Musical Instruments like – Guitar, etc.
While searching on the internet I see some of the rumors about this platform. This made to write the article & clear your doubts & rumors about Udemy.
You can click here & know more about Udemy
So, on this note, let’s move forward & find more insights of Udemy.
Is Udemy a Scam?
We need to look at a few points then decide our conclusion.
Udemy was founded in the year 2010 by Eren Bali, Oktay Caglar and Gagan Biyani.
It has 100,000+ courses with 8,000+ instructors teaching the lessons at the time of writing this article. So, there is definitely lots of wheat to separate from the chaff. At times you might find it difficult to choose the right course. This poor selection of courses has led to people thinking that Udemy is a scam.
Udemy as a platform is ideally free for the course creator. Creating a course on Udemy does not necessarily require experience. You can just join and create a course. If your course is good you might become “Top Seller” or “Best Seller” on Udemy.
If you want to know more check here.
Is Udemy Legit?
Udemy offers a hoard of courses, out of which some have been developed with careful consideration and hence have great quality content. While others do not.
If you don’t know how to select the course on Udemy, check this article out.
Top 5 Benefits of Udemy
1. Udemy Course Prices – when it comes to the cost of Udemy courses, I believe that it is one of the best to learn and explore different subject matters. Though the prices range from $20 – $199.99, most of the time you can buy the course from $10 to $14. This is really cheap if you want to learn something new on a budget.
2. Course Support – Educational support is provided by Udemy Instructors themselves. The Instructor might provide you support via Chat or E-Mail. Sometimes instructors are live on certain days and at specific time periods, at this time you can post your query to them and chat with them live. The instructors are free to enable or disable support.
3. Course Access – The courses you buy from Udemy have lifetime access. This feature proves to be helpful when you wish to brush up your skills at a later time period or if you’d like to recall certain things at a later time period.
4. Instructors-Led Course – courses on Udemy are led by instructors who generally are experts from their industries. This could provide to be quite beneficial. They have a large amount of knowledge to share with you and give you some practical insights.
5. Udemy Certificate – Udemy provides a certificate at the end of course lessons. This certificate reflects that you have completed the course but doesn’t reveal if you have gained the knowledge or not.
As you have seen the Top 5 Benefits of Udemy. But Udemy has lots more than these 5, You can check here.
You can see the other benefits in the pictures above.
Is Udemy Good?
You might also think “are Udemy courses any good?” or “are Udemy courses worth it?”
The Udemy courses are good to get some insight into a new subject matter. It will also help you get updated with the latest technology. The courses are provided by industry experts, which might have several years of experience and hence could help you better.
You can learn from these experts at a very cheap price.
One of the cons that I would like to mention here is the lack of Real-Time Projects. Udemy does not provide any projects for hands-on experience. Projects could help you to check your knowledge. You can see if you can apply your knowledge and skills developed in practicality or not.
But this depends on how you use your knowledge and what you take away from these courses. You can take the help of online platform like GitHub, and take the necessary projects. These kinds of projects will help you to create your portfolio. These portfolios reflect your talent. These could also help you to get a job or secure freelance projects.
Is Udemy Worth It For Instructors?
Unfortunately, Udemy has not given much power to instructors. Instructors have to sell the course at very low prices.
But the traffic is huge and there is a great number of purchases of Udemy courses that leads to a decent enough income for the instructors.
So, the low prices compensate with large no. of courses bought.
Udemy is one of the most interesting platforms. There are 1000’s of courses with 100’s of instructors on this platform. You can choose any course on this platform. It is like an All-In-One solution for your online learning.
Udemy is not a scam. It is an online learning platform where everyone can learn a wide range of subjects at a cheap price. Both instructors and students benefit from the low cost.
Over To You
Hope you have got the answer to your question. If still, you have any doubts left, leave your queries in the comments below.