Finding the best Coursera Course could be tricky part for most people. It could become a real pain sometimes. In this article, you will find 5 hacks that I have used myself to sort out the top courses on Coursera.
Coursera, as you might know, is a MOOC (Massive Open Online Course).
There is a problem with any MOOCs. There are plenty of options to choose from. This might, sometimes, end up confusing you.
I have written the tips and tricks that I use myself. These tricks have to help me in saving time and money.
5 Tips To Find Best Coursera Courses
After a lot of research and careful consideration I have put together a few tips to assist you while choosing a course on Coursera. a
The list below will guide you towards a good and suitable course.
1. Coursera Course Rating
Coursera provides star rating in 2 types –
- Rating for overall course
This is the rating given to a course in totality. This is the total average of the ratings the course has.
The rating is given Out of 5.
This kind of rating is given for Specialization Courses.
- Rating For Each Course
Coursera also provides a rating to each lesson separately.
This could also be beneficial in checking the course rating lesson wise.
This could prove to be great indications of how well the course was received by other learners. It will give you an idea about which lessons are good and aren’t.
Usually, better the rating, better will be the course.
But this is not the case every time. You also need to check the total number of people who have provided rating for the said course.
2. Coursera Universities And Institutes
Though Coursera has world’s top universities there is the issue of the quality of the university.
But some people like a few universities and tend to just stick to those. Whatever subject’s content that university has on Coursera, they will take it.
It would be advisable to opt for the course rather than the university. Opting for a certain university might lead to you taking up courses that might not be serving your purpose. You have to identify which course will help you in further career growth and which ones would prove to be redundant.
Coursera has a partnership with many universities all around the globe. Take advantage of this partnership.
Check this for more information.
3. Coursera Tuition Fees
Course fees or price is an essential thing to check.
This mainly depends upon the course selected. Another governing factor of the course fee is the university that’s offering the course. For a Specialization Course, the fees is around $39 – $89/Month.
For a Master Degree, the course fees ranges around $10,000 – $25,000 in total.
Coursera has a Subscription-Based model for Specialization Course. For master degree, the fee is for the whole course.
You can check on pricing for more information.
4. Coursera Instructors
Teachers and Instructors are the backbones of any institute.
You need to check the credentials of instructors before opting for a course.
How to check it?
- Scroll down – Till the instructors show up.
- You will see the list of instructors for the course.
- Click on the name of the instructor you want to check.
4. You will be directed to another page.
Here you can find various information about the instructor.
Though Coursera has some of the best faculty. But it’s worth taking a look at their credentials.
5. Course Duration
Total Number of hours taken to complete the course is another factor in choosing a course.
It completely depends upon you, whether you’d like long or short duration courses.
Long duration courses take you from beginner to advanced level in a single course.
I would also recommend looking at the time duration that you’d have to wait before you can start with your course.
For a few courses on Coursera, it takes weeks for the course to begin.
I personally like to subscribe and get started fast.
Before taking any course, develop the habit of checking the course material.
This is to make sure that you get what you need and the topics you want covered are inclusive in the course.
Note – In the case of Master Degree, Point Number – 1, i.e., Coursera Course rating wouldn’t be applicable. The rest of the tips however would prove to be helpful when applied.
Top And Most Popular Coursera Course
There are certain courses that are popular on Coursera. These are the courses that are high in demand in the industry and large number of students are buying them.
- Google IT Support Professional Certificate – By Google
- IBM Data Science Professional Certificate – By IBM
- Applied Data Science with Python Specialization – By University Of Michigan
- AI For Everyone – By Deeplearning.ai
- Machine Learning – By Stanford
- Financial Markets – By Yale
- Excel to MySQL: Analytic Techniques for Business Specialization – By Duke University
- Learning How to Learn – By Mcmaster University & University of California San Diego
- The Strategy of Content Marketing – By University of California
- Learn to Program: The Fundamentals – By University of Toronto
- Project Management: The Basics for Success – By UCI
- Digital Product Management – By University of Virginia
- Blockchain Basics – By University of Buffalo & The State University of New York
- Social Media Marketing Specialization – By Northwestern University
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Specialization – UCDavis & University Of California
- Business Analytics Specialization – By University of Pennsylvania
- Unity Game Development Specialization – By University of Colorado
- Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Technologies – By Princeton University
- Digital Marketing Specialization – By University of Illinois
- Databases and SQL for Data Science – By IBM
By applying all the 5 tips, you will be able to find the course best suited for you. I urge you to use all the points and then take any decision.
I know, this way would lead you to save a lot of effort in searching for a good course and might save you from opting for an unsuitable one.
I found it a perfect fit for me in Coursera. I can now learn from the world’s elite universities at my home.
Over To You
Let me know in the comments about your own hacks to find the best Coursera course.