Finding the best Coursera Course could be a tricky part for most people. It could become a real pain sometimes. In this article, you will find 5 hacks that I have used myself to sort out the top courses on Coursera.
Then I discovered, Coursera. After researching and spending some time on it, I found it a perfect fit for me. I could now get the learning from the world’s elite university at my home. For me, it was like a dream come true. I can take the admission in any of my dream university.
Coursera, as you might know, is a MOOC (Massive Open Online Course).
There is a problem with any MOOC’s. There is plenty of option to choose from. This might sometime, confuse you.
So, I thought of why not writing an article and help you in selecting a course that you might interest in.
In this article, I have written all the tips that I have used myself. These tricks have to help me in saving money and time.
Without any further delay, let’s start our journey of selecting a course.
5 Tips To Find Best Coursera Courses
Below list can guide you to a good course.
1. Coursera Course Rating
This could be a great indication of a course is good or not.
Coursera provides star rating in 2 types –
a. Rating for overall course
This is the rating given to a course in totality. This is the total rating the course has.
The rating is given Out of 5.
This kind of rating is given to the Specialization Courses.
b. Rating For Each Course
Coursera also provides a rating to each lesson separately.
This could also be beneficial in checking the course rating lesson wise.
This will give you an idea about which lessons are good and what lessons aren’t.
In general, the better the rating, the better will be the course.
But this is not the case every time. You also need to check the total rating given to a course.
2. Coursera Universities And Institutes
Though Coursera has world’s top universities there is the issue of the quality of the university.
But some people like a few universities and tend to just stick to those. Whatever subject’s content that the university has on Coursera, they will take it.
It would be advisable to opt for the course rather than the university. Opting for a certain university might lead to you taking up courses that might not be serving your purpose. You have to identify which course will help you in further career growth and which ones would prove to be redundant.
Coursera has a partnership with many universities all around the globe. Take advantage of this partnership.
It’s an online platform, learn courses from any reputed university.
3. Coursera Tuition Fees
Course fees or price is an essential thing to check.
This could impact a lot on course selection.
For a Specialization Course, the fees are around $39 – $89/Month. The fees depend on Courses and the universities offering the course.
For a Master Degree, the course fees range around $10,000 – $25,000 in total. Again, the pricing depends upon the course and university.
Coursera has a Subscription-Based model for Specialization Course. For master degree, the fee is for the whole course.
You can check on pricing for more information.
4. Coursera Instructors
Teachers and Instructors are the backbones of any institute.
You need to check the credentials of instructors as well.
How to check it?
I. Scroll down – Till the instructors show up.
II. You will see the list of instructors for the course.
III. Click on the name of the instructor you want to check.
IV. You will the something like Below
Here you can find various information about the instructor.
This is good Add-On.
Though Coursera has some of the best faculty. But it’s worth taking a look at their credentials.
5. Course Duration
Total Number of hours taken to complete the course is another factor in choosing a course.
It completely depends upon you, whether you’d like long or short duration courses.
Long duration courses take you from beginner to advanced level in a single course.
I would also recommend looking at the time duration that you’d have to wait before you can start with your course.
For a few courses on Coursera, it takes weeks for the course to begin.
I personally like to subscribe and get started fast.
Here is a bonus tip for you.
Checking Course Materials
Before taking any course, I have the habit of checking the course materials.
This is to make sure that I get what I need. Nothing less, nothing more.
Note – In the case of Master Degree, Point No. – 1, i.e., Coursera Course rating wouldn’t be applicable. You can try the rest of the tips.
Top And Most Popular Coursera Course
There are a few courses that are popular on Coursera. These are the courses that are of high demand in the industry and students are buying them.
- Google IT Support Professional Certificate – By Google
- IBM Data Science Professional Certificate – By IBM
- Applied Data Science with Python Specialization – By University Of Michigan
- AI For Everyone – By Deeplearning.ai
- Machine Learning – By Stanford
- Financial Markets – By Yale
- Excel to MySQL: Analytic Techniques for Business Specialization – By Duke University
- Learning How to Learn – By Mcmaster University & University of California San Diego
- The Strategy of Content Marketing – By University of California
- Learn to Program: The Fundamentals – By University of Toronto
- Project Management: The Basics for Success – By UCI
- Digital Product Management – By University of Virginia
- Blockchain Basics – By University of Buffalo & The State University of New York
- Social Media Marketing Specialization – By Northwestern University
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Specialization – UCDavis & University Of California
- Business Analytics Specialization – By University of Pennsylvania
- Unity Game Development Specialization – By University of Colorado
- Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Technologies – By Princeton University
- Digital Marketing Specialization – By University of Illinois
- Databases and SQL for Data Science – By IBM
By applying all these 5 tips, you will be able to find the course best suited for you. I urge you to use all the points and then take any decision.
I know, this way would lead you to save a lot of effort in searching for a good course.
Over To You
Let me know in the comments about your own hacks to find the best Coursera course.