You might be wondering about
- Are Coursera certificates worth it?
- What is the value of its course, programs, and degree?
- What is the point of investing if one can pursue its courses free of cost?
Let me talk about Coursera’s value and worth in detail.
Are Coursera Certificates Worth It?
A lot of people have a desire to get high quality education from the best of institutes. You might be one of them. You might have wanted to attend universities like- Yale, Stanford, Wharthon, etc. but couldn’t. and
My desire to get education never left. I searched more and more about it. My search lead me to Coursera.
But why would you want to get a certificate?
There might be any of 3 reasons:
- Getting a Job
- Gaining a Promotion
- Showcasing your knowledge
Also, it never hurts to get an extra certificate on your resume.
Let me inform you beforehand, Coursera doesn’t help you attain a job.
Instead, it will equip you with the skill set needed to acquire a job on your own. Coursera believes that the right skill-set will help you in achieving your desired job.
That means that they would help you by providing the required resources but how you put those resources to use depends entirely on you.
What about the professionals who are already doing a job but craving for a promotion? Can Coursera help them?
You can learn new skills which could help you with your professional life. This could also be beneficial if you want to update and upgrade your knowledge base.
But the question still remains whether the certificates really matter.
To be truthful, they matter very less.
What most employers find attractive is your skill-set and your knowledge as compared to a piece of paper. They usually hire people who know how to use the theoretical knowledge for practical use to solve industry problems.
So, instead of focusing on getting tons of certificates, you must be inclined towards obtaining better knowledge.
Why invest in certificates from Coursera when you can get the knowledge free of cost by auditing the course?
Coursera provides an option to its users to study a course completely free of cost. If your sole purpose is gaining knowledge, then auditing the course would be beneficial for you.
This in no way means that the certificates earned at the completion of the course are useless. They do give you extra credits. They also show your dedication towards work and self-improvement.
The certificates goes on to show prove that you have successfully completed the course and have gained the knowledge. It provides more credibility..
Paid courses on Coursera have many advantages like – support from peers, dedicated forums for help and much more. These are the things which are missing when you audit a course.
By taking a few courses, both free and paid, you can see the difference. Free courses are good enough to get the basic idea about the subject matter but you if really want to the most out of any course, go for the paid courses.
How To Make Most Out Of Coursera Certificate?
As soon as your course starts, you will be provided with video lectures from the professor. After watching the lectures you get certain tasks to complete.
The tasks will be in the form of Small Quizzes, Assignments, etc. You have to complete those within the time limit provided.
The tasks and quizzes submitted by you will be reviewed by the professor. If everything goes well, you will be awarded the certificate.
Here are a few tips to make your certificate more than just a piece of paper.
5 Tips to Make Your Coursera Certificate Useful
There are few tips that I have used to make Coursera Certificates more valuable:
- Use Forums – This is possibly the most useful thing that is provided by Coursera. You can post your queries out there It can prove to be very useful to clear your doubts.
- Answer the Quiz – The quizzes provided by Coursera is a great for checking your knowledge. You should answer the quizzes and submit your assignments. This would help you to increase your knowledge and would act as a great add-on.
- Read a Lot – Reading is one of the best habits one should develop. You can read books, E-Books, articles on the internet, etc. These will help you to gain some extra knowledge. That could be beneficial in the long term. I believe that gaining knowledge from just one source is not sufficient. At least 2-3 sources should be referred to while learning something new.
- Practice & Practice – More the practice, the better you will become. After gaining knowledge, you need to make it in the real world. Do some real-time projects or assignments or even take an internship to supplement your skills. This could be very helpful in the future.
- Show Your Talent – Once you have gained enough knowledge, it’s the time to show this to the world. You can use LinkedIn to show my talent. I updated my profile with the latest skills. You can post your skills on some groups on LinkedIn. It will assist you in landing a job.
Try to apply a few of them to get the maximum benefits.
Benefits And Value Of Coursera
There are a few advantages that you should take a look at.
1. University courses at a fraction of the cost
Do you ever think of getting a university degree? But couldn’t do it because of lack of money.
When you compare university fees with Coursera’s you will see what I mean.
For a course of $50,000 in university, you can study that course for $10,000 or less on this platform.
2. Learn Authentic Course From Top University
Do you ever think of studying in Universities like – Stanford, Yale, Wharton, etc.? But couldn’t enroll?.
This platform has a solution for that.
Now, you can learn from the best universities of the world from the comfort of your home.
Here are the answers to frequently asked questions. Read all these answers carefully to clear your doubts.
1. Are Coursera certificates valid for the job?
The Coursera certificates are issued by elite universities of the world. More and more employers look at the certificates as an accreditation of knowledge.
So, it is valid and holds its own space in the field.
2. Are Coursera certificates worth anything?
The elite universities of the world offer certificates on Coursera. To get a certificate, you have to work really hard. You have to complete assignments, answer quizzes and submit projects. Your work will be reviewed and only after getting a passing grade, will you be awarded with a certificate.
Hence, this makes a Coursera certificate valuable.
3. What is the cost of Coursera certificate?
The price of the certificate depends upon the course and type of certification that you choose. To know more about Coursera certificate fee, check this.
4. Is it good to show Coursera certification on the resume?
Yes, show your potential employers your credentials and what you have achieved. Putting a certificate on your resume is a good way to make your resume look more credible.
If you are about to take any course from Coursera make sure to give it your 100%otherwise, it will be useless.
Remember success is never an easy task to achieve. You have to get things rolling and work hard.
The final verdict – Coursera certificates are worth it only if you put in effort to make it valuable.
Over To You
What has your experience been with Coursera? Hae you tries the certified courses? Let me know in the comments section below..